While unable to deliver in his last two tries as the favorite, Pyro is sure to once again be the horse to beat when he goes to the post in the $500,000 Indiana Derby (gr. II) at Hoosier Park Oct. 4.
Jon and Sarah Kelly's Sporting Art and Peachtree Stable's Flying Dismount, the one-two finishers in the March 29 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT), will meet again April 26 in the $400,000 Calder Derby (gr. IIIT), as the rivals top a full field of 3-year-olds on the Calder Race Course turf.
California-bred Sierra Sunset threw his name smack into the middle of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) mix March 15 at Oaklawn Park, dominating eight rivals to win by three lengths in the $300,000 Rebel Stakes (gr. II).
Coming off his Delta Jackpot win, the Dixie Union colt looks to solidify Derby position Feb. 18 at Oaklawn Park.
In other stakes action, the $200,000 Carl G. Rose Handicap was won by 4-year-old gelding Electrify, who saved ground along the fence and then sped to the lead in mid-stretch under Elvis Trujillo to score by two lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale