While unable to deliver in his last two tries as the favorite, Pyro is sure to once again be the horse to beat when he goes to the post in the $500,000 Indiana Derby (gr. II) at Hoosier Park Oct. 4.
Jon and Sarah Kelly's Sporting Art and Peachtree Stable's Flying Dismount, the one-two finishers in the March 29 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT), will meet again April 26 in the $400,000 Calder Derby (gr. IIIT), as the rivals top a full field of 3-year-olds on the Calder Race Course turf.
California-bred Sierra Sunset threw his name smack into the middle of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) mix March 15 at Oaklawn Park, dominating eight rivals to win by three lengths in the $300,000 Rebel Stakes (gr. II).
In other stakes action, the $200,000 Carl G. Rose Handicap was won by 4-year-old gelding Electrify, who saved ground along the fence and then sped to the lead in mid-stretch under Elvis Trujillo to score by two lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered
- Ward Joins Water Hay Oats Alliance