While unable to deliver in his last two tries as the favorite, Pyro is sure to once again be the horse to beat when he goes to the post in the $500,000 Indiana Derby (gr. II) at Hoosier Park Oct. 4.
Jon and Sarah Kelly's Sporting Art and Peachtree Stable's Flying Dismount, the one-two finishers in the March 29 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT), will meet again April 26 in the $400,000 Calder Derby (gr. IIIT), as the rivals top a full field of 3-year-olds on the Calder Race Course turf.
California-bred Sierra Sunset threw his name smack into the middle of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) mix March 15 at Oaklawn Park, dominating eight rivals to win by three lengths in the $300,000 Rebel Stakes (gr. II).
Coming off his Delta Jackpot win, the Dixie Union colt looks to solidify Derby position Feb. 18 at Oaklawn Park.
In other stakes action, the $200,000 Carl G. Rose Handicap was won by 4-year-old gelding Electrify, who saved ground along the fence and then sped to the lead in mid-stretch under Elvis Trujillo to score by two lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- New York Stallion Series On Tap at Aqueduct
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Bettys Bambino Draws Well in Downhill Daytona
- Salutos Amigos Adds Gravesend Stakes Victory
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Spotted Heart Upsets MD Filly Championship
- Six Grade I Races Set for Belmont Stakes Day