The $250,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 23, the first of five Breeders' Cup Challenge races at the seaside track this weekend, marks the 2008 debut of the 9-year-old multiple graded stakes winner Runaway Dancer.
The prohibitive favorite Daytona ran out of gas mid-stretch, opening the way for 29-1 shot Whatsthescript to score from the off the pace in the $250,000 American Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Hollywood Park turf course June 28.
Daytona does nothing but win, usually running on the front end. But last time out in the Shoemaker Mile (gr. IT) the 4-year-old Irish bred proved he doesn't have to have the lead in order to get it done. You can't help but wonder if his seven rivals in the $250,000 American Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) June 28 at Hollywood Park have much chance at all.
Favored El Roblar, making just his second start following a layoff of 10 months for trainer Richard Mandella,held off all challengers to win the $109,500 Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf.
Trainer Bobby Frankel takes aim at Hollywood Park's $100,000 Inglewood Handicap (gr. III) on May 3 with three entrants: Heroi Do Bafra, Hello Sunday and Storm Military.
A quintet of newcomers, two of them trained by Bobby Frankel, is among a field of eight contesting the $250,000 Turf Cup (gr. I) on the Hollywood Park grass course Dec. 8.
Jane and Burt Bacharach's 7-year-old gelding One Off, last in the field in upper stretch, charged down the middle of the track to register his first graded stakes win in the $150,000 San Marcos Handicap (g. IIT) on the Santa Anita lawn.
Trainer Bobby Frankel, who has saddled five stakes winners through the first three weeks of the Santa Anita meet, takes on likely favorite Boboman with three of the eight entrants in Sunday's $150,000 San Marcos Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- Look Back: Dr. Fager Delivers on Turf in United Nations
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker