Pete Moreno, leading rider at Del Mar in 1960 and winner of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award the following year, died last Aug. 23 at the age of 87 as the result of a variety of ailments, it was learned Nov. 15.
Steve Buttgenbach, a popular veterinarian on Southern California backstretches, died May 15 in his La Canada, Calif., home from complications of cancer. He was 64.
Henry Moreno, who rode 24-1 Dark Star to an upset win over Native Dancer in the 1953 Kentucky Derby, died Feb. 1 in Florence, Ore.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill