Pete Moreno, leading rider at Del Mar in 1960 and winner of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award the following year, died last Aug. 23 at the age of 87 as the result of a variety of ailments, it was learned Nov. 15.
Steve Buttgenbach, a popular veterinarian on Southern California backstretches, died May 15 in his La Canada, Calif., home from complications of cancer. He was 64.
Henry Moreno, who rode 24-1 Dark Star to an upset win over Native Dancer in the 1953 Kentucky Derby, died Feb. 1 in Florence, Ore.
Most Popular Stories
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Texas Chrome Named Texas Horse of the Year
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Cathryn Sophia Voted Top Midlantic-Bred for 2016
- OBS Championship Stakes Fields Set