Pete Moreno, leading rider at Del Mar in 1960 and winner of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award the following year, died last Aug. 23 at the age of 87 as the result of a variety of ailments, it was learned Nov. 15.
Steve Buttgenbach, a popular veterinarian on Southern California backstretches, died May 15 in his La Canada, Calif., home from complications of cancer. He was 64.
Henry Moreno, who rode 24-1 Dark Star to an upset win over Native Dancer in the 1953 Kentucky Derby, died Feb. 1 in Florence, Ore.
Most Popular Stories
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- Vale Dori Impressive in Bayakoa Victory
- Half Dome Dude Sets Remington Track Record
- Sandford, Owner of Take Charge Indy, Dies