Handle jumped more than 50% in the first three days of the Ellis Park meet, which started a week late due to a disagreement over revenue sharing.
Ron Geary said he is facing a myriad of economic pressures in making Ellis Park a viable operation, but the owner of the Henderson, Ky., racetrack vows to fight the challenges with every resource before he considers closing the facility.
Champion Macho Uno and grade I winner D'wildcat sired their first stakes winners June 30.
Ellis Park posted gains in average daily on-track wagering and attendance for its 36-day meet that ended Sept. 4, its first effort since a tornado damaged the Henderson, Ky., complex last November.
Eddie Martin Jr., principal owner of Martin Stables South, has reached an agreement to purchase 180-acre Marablue Farm near Reddick, Fla., from A. Douglas Henderson.
A fire last Friday that resulted in the deaths of 22 horses at the Cross International training center in Henderson, Ky. was apparently caused by sparking from a heat bulb or heat lamp.
Pensioned Florida stallion Proud Birdie, who won the 1977 Marlboro Cup Handicap (gr. I) and sired 33 stakes winners, was euthanized May 2
Most Popular Stories
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- McCraken Top Individual in Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Barretts March Sale Catalogs 129 Horses
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Girvin, Farrell Exit Fair Grounds Wins Well
- El Areeb Sharp in Five-Furlong Workout