Saturday, two months to the day that the great sportsman Ogden Phipps passed away at the age of 93, the feature race at Belmont will be run in his honor.
Among the probables for Saturday's grade I Ogden Phipps Handicaps are two grade I winners, Critical Eye and Raging Fever.
A George IV Silver Gilt Cup and Cover has been donated by F. Gorevic & Son to serve as the permanent trophy for the newly renamed $300,000 Ogden Phipps Handicap (gr. I).
In honor of the recent passing of Ogden Phipps, the New York Racing Association decided Wednesday to rename the grade I Hempstead Handicap the Ogden Phipps Handicap.
Critical Eye gets the added distance she prefers and wins the Hempstead Handicap
Critical Eye swept to the lead in the final strides to win Saturday's $250,000 Hempstead Handicap (gr. I) by a neck over Jostle at Belmont Park. The win marks the second career grade I victory for the New York-bred daughter of Dynaformer.
Beautiful Pleasure continued on course for the Hempstead Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park June 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale