Saturday, two months to the day that the great sportsman Ogden Phipps passed away at the age of 93, the feature race at Belmont will be run in his honor.
Among the probables for Saturday's grade I Ogden Phipps Handicaps are two grade I winners, Critical Eye and Raging Fever.
A George IV Silver Gilt Cup and Cover has been donated by F. Gorevic & Son to serve as the permanent trophy for the newly renamed $300,000 Ogden Phipps Handicap (gr. I).
In honor of the recent passing of Ogden Phipps, the New York Racing Association decided Wednesday to rename the grade I Hempstead Handicap the Ogden Phipps Handicap.
Critical Eye gets the added distance she prefers and wins the Hempstead Handicap
Critical Eye swept to the lead in the final strides to win Saturday's $250,000 Hempstead Handicap (gr. I) by a neck over Jostle at Belmont Park. The win marks the second career grade I victory for the New York-bred daughter of Dynaformer.
Beautiful Pleasure continued on course for the Hempstead Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park June 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist's BC Work Less Than Ideal
- California Chrome 'Fit' for BC After Work
- Getting Started on Breeders' Cup Handicapping
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Beholder, Frosted Drill at Santa Anita
- Living The Life Retired, Won't Run in BC
- Rachel Alexandra Breeder Morrison dies
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Songbird Logs Final Breeze for Distaff
- Smile for Daddy