While the Jockey Injury Database has seen increased participation in the past year, supporters of the database said increased support is critical for generating meaningful numbers.
Helmet tests conducted by the Jockeys' Guild have revealed the dangers of riding with a helmet that previously has been involved in a spill and also offered initial evidence that a thin skull cap could help improve safety.
- By Tom LaMarra
The helmets arrived in the nick of time. The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority's new regulations on safety helmets for jockeys took effect with the Sept. 6 opening of Turfway Park, and three hours before the first post of 7 p.m. EDT, a shipment of regulation helmets hadn't arrived.
- By Ron Mitchell
A stiff rule mandating the standards that must be met for helmets worn by jockeys riding in Kentucky may have to be waived or altered to accommodate riders, especially those from Europe, participating in the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships at Churchill Downs on Nov. 4.
The search for an executive director, jockey helmet issues are keeping members of the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority very busy.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority, currently studying its controversial helmet rule for jockeys, indicated May 17 it doesn't expect to have a resolution anytime soon.
A decision by the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority Monday to temporarily suspend a state rule requiring jockeys to wear a specific type of helmet will not immediately go into effect.
Members of the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority are still getting an introduction to their new roles, but that didn't stop them from changing a notable racing rule during a Feb. 16 meeting. Eleven of the 12 members present voted to temporarily suspend the rule that mandates what type of helmets jockeys must wear.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Sunshine Millions Cuts After FTBOA Withholds Payment
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- A Closer Look at Smarty Jones Winner Uncontested
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Cuomo Proposes Returning NYRA to Private Control
- Cuomo Plan Asks New York Racing to Pay for Drug Testing
- Cautious Giant Brings Top Price at Barretts Mixed Sale
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing