Mizz Money held off a stiff challenge in deep stretch and outgamed 70-1 longshot Vielsalm for a head victory in the Stella Artois Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the May 21 Preakness Stakes undercard at Pimlico Race Course.
In the absence of undefeated Lady Eli, Sentiero Italia announced her presence in the 3-year-old filly turf division with a victory in the Maker's Mark Lake Placid Stakes (gr. IIT) Aug. 14 at Saratoga Race Course.
It took a while for Sheep Pond Partners' Lady Eli to find room in the $200,000 Wonder Again Stakes, but she did just in time to remain undefeated May 31 at Belmont Park.
Multiple grade I winner Honor Glide's first foal, a colt, arrived at Cloverleaf Farms II near Reddick, Fla. on Jan. 18.
One jockey was killed and two others were injured Saturday when a horse stumbled coming down the stretch at Beulah Park. Arnold Ruiz, 33, of Arlington Heights, Ill., fell with Winds of Sonora and was run over by the two horses behind him, track steward Joe DeLuca said. Ruiz was pronounced dead of head injuries at Grant Hospital.
Prominent Florida horseman Bonnie Heath, whose colt Needles become the first state-bred runner to earn a national championship and the first to win the Kentucky Derby, died the night of Nov. 4 at his Ocala, Fla., home.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection