Mizz Money held off a stiff challenge in deep stretch and outgamed 70-1 longshot Vielsalm for a head victory in the Stella Artois Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the May 21 Preakness Stakes undercard at Pimlico Race Course.
In the absence of undefeated Lady Eli, Sentiero Italia announced her presence in the 3-year-old filly turf division with a victory in the Maker's Mark Lake Placid Stakes (gr. IIT) Aug. 14 at Saratoga Race Course.
It took a while for Sheep Pond Partners' Lady Eli to find room in the $200,000 Wonder Again Stakes, but she did just in time to remain undefeated May 31 at Belmont Park.
Multiple grade I winner Honor Glide's first foal, a colt, arrived at Cloverleaf Farms II near Reddick, Fla. on Jan. 18.
One jockey was killed and two others were injured Saturday when a horse stumbled coming down the stretch at Beulah Park. Arnold Ruiz, 33, of Arlington Heights, Ill., fell with Winds of Sonora and was run over by the two horses behind him, track steward Joe DeLuca said. Ruiz was pronounced dead of head injuries at Grant Hospital.
Prominent Florida horseman Bonnie Heath, whose colt Needles become the first state-bred runner to earn a national championship and the first to win the Kentucky Derby, died the night of Nov. 4 at his Ocala, Fla., home.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Mo Don't Know Named Ohio Horse of the Year
- Kitten's Cat Poised for Spiral Stakes