In the absence of undefeated Lady Eli, Sentiero Italia announced her presence in the 3-year-old filly turf division with a victory in the Maker's Mark Lake Placid Stakes (gr. IIT) Aug. 14 at Saratoga Race Course.
It took a while for Sheep Pond Partners' Lady Eli to find room in the $200,000 Wonder Again Stakes, but she did just in time to remain undefeated May 31 at Belmont Park.
Multiple grade I winner Honor Glide's first foal, a colt, arrived at Cloverleaf Farms II near Reddick, Fla. on Jan. 18.
One jockey was killed and two others were injured Saturday when a horse stumbled coming down the stretch at Beulah Park. Arnold Ruiz, 33, of Arlington Heights, Ill., fell with Winds of Sonora and was run over by the two horses behind him, track steward Joe DeLuca said. Ruiz was pronounced dead of head injuries at Grant Hospital.
Prominent Florida horseman Bonnie Heath, whose colt Needles become the first state-bred runner to earn a national championship and the first to win the Kentucky Derby, died the night of Nov. 4 at his Ocala, Fla., home.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Former Derby Hopefuls Meet in American Turf
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation