Graded stakes winner Maddalena figures to be the one to beat in the $100,000 Adena Stallions' Miss Preakness (gr. III), a 6-furlong test for 3-year-old fillies at Pimlico on Friday.
Eclipse Award-winning 2-year-old male Declan's Moon was recently named 2004 Maryland-bred Horse of the Year in an annual poll conducted by the Maryland Horse Breeders Association.
Front-running Essence, ridden by a cool John Velazquez, dug in tenaciously to hold off Rare Gift by a neck in the $100,000 Anne Arundel (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Pimlico Saturday. In other $100,000 races on the DeFrancis undercard, the 2-year-old filly Hear Us Roar stayed unbeaten in the Selima Stakes and Irish Colony prevailed in the Charles H. Hadry.
Rosalee C. Davison's homebred Here Us Roar hopes to extend her undefeated career tally to three in Saturday's $100,000 Selima Stakes at Pimlico.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- O'Neill and Racing's Slow Regulatory Process
- Raffetto Joins New England HBPA Effort
- F-T October Running Ahead of 2013 Record Pace
- HRTV to Air Live Coverage of Breeders' Cup
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Podcast: Bob Baffert and the Breeders' Cup
- Trakus Coming to Some Australian Racecourses
- Trainer D'Amato's Success Long Time in Coming