Starrer made up for tough luck earlier in the year, coming from off the pace under Jerry Bailey to win the grade II, $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap by one length over game California-bred filly Queenie Belle at Hollywood Parkon Saturday. In the day's third graded stakes, Garrett Gomez guided Brazilian-bred Verruma to a half-length victory over Vencera in the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap.
Trainer Bob Baffert's Officer, the 2-year-old colt who won his first five races so effortlessly he was promoted as racing's latest wunderkind, will seek redemption from two dramatic setbacks in Saturday's $460,750 Hollywood Futurity at Hollywood Park. Siphonic, who overcame obstacles that compromised odds-on favorite Officer and finished third in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, is expected to be a slight favorite in the grade I event at 1 1/16 miles
Churchill Downs' $150,000 Mrs. Revere Stakes (gr. IIIT), the year's final stakes race on turf that is restricted to 3-year-old fillies, has attracted 50 nominations for its renewal on Nov. 17.
Heads Will Roll and Love n' Kiss S. took split divisions of Sunday's Belmont Park feature, the Pebbles Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Candy Ride Colt Tops Barretts Sale
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont