The favorite, he holds off Giant Oak by three-quarters of a length.
Southern California shipper Awesome Gem came from off the pace to run down Nite Light in deep stretch for a 1 1/4-length win in the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup Handicap (gr. II) at muddy Hawthorne Park Oct. 3.
Hawthorne Race Course has announced stakes schedules for both of its 2007 Thoroughbred meets. The spring season at Hawthorne kicks off Feb. 23, and $1.6 million in stakes purses will be offered. The fall campaign commences Sept. 17, and $1.8 million in stakes purses will be offered.
Perfect Drift, winner of last year's Hawthorne Gold Cup Handicap (gr. II), appears ready to return to the winner's circle for this year's edition of the 1 1/4-mile race.
Dust On the Bottle, last after the opening quarter mile and sixth after a mile, rallied through the stretch to win the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. III) by a length Saturday at Hawthorne Race Course. Sent off at nearly 39-1, the Glenn Hild-trained 5-year-old paid $79.40 for the win.
Stronach Stable's Golden Missile heads the list of horses likely to enter Saturday's $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. III). Others pointing for the Gold Cup include Mula Gula, Blazing Sword, and Puerto Madero.
Hawthorne Gold Cup Handicap (gr. III) nominees Golden Missile and Catienus put in morning works at separate New York tracks Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Jockey Hill Guides in 1,000th Winner
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool