Trainer Michael Dickinson pulls off a stunner in 1998, winning the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) with Da Hoss, who was making just his second start in two years.
Redattore held off Hawksley Hill in the stretch to earn a 3/4-length victory in Saturday's $263,750 San Francisco Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IIT) at Bay Meadows. Under Jason Lumpkins, Redattore completed the mile in 1:35.14 on a firm turf course.
Under Laffit Pincay Jr., California-bred Road to Slew edged clear of Hollycombe and held off the late challenge of a slew of horses to win the $400,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile Handicap (gr. IIT) by one length, Saturday at Santa Anita. On a turf track listed as good, Road to Slew completed the distance in 1:35.96.
A field of 11 older turf runners have entered for Saturday's 42nd running of the Frank E. Kilroe Mile on the Camino Real turf course. Formerly run as the Arcadia Handicap, the race was renamed in 2001 to honor longtime Southern California racing secretary 'Jimmy' Kilroe.
Super Quercus, who was scratched from Monday's San Gabriel Handicap (gr. IIT) due to what trainer Bobby Frankel called "a mistake in medication," will run Thursday in a Santa Anita optional claiming race which also features the return of multiple stakes winner Hawksley Hill. The six-horse field in the one-mile turf race also includes Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner El Cielo.
Breeders' Cup Sprint winner Kona Gold breezed five furlongs in 1:05 Sunday at Santa Anita. Also working Sunday were Hawksley Hill, Full Moon Madness, and Manndar.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Understanding the Biomechanics of Lameness
- Champion English Channel Relocates to Calumet
- Wise Dan to Make Return in Bernard Baruch
- Storm and a Half to Stand in Iowa
- Tiz Wonderful Colt Sells for OKC Sale Record
- Unbeaten Taghrooda Heads Yorkshire Oaks
- Consignors Provide Keeneland Showing Schedule
- Haskin's Top Sprinters of the Last 50 Years