The final field of twenty-four has been drawn for Monday's running of the Toohey's New Melbourne Cup. A couple of the entrants had to put in late work to make the prestigious field.
- By Peter Tonkes
Godolphin won its first Australian race at Flemington on Nov. 10 as Hatha Anna narrowly defeated the local stayers in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes (Aust-II) over 2,500 meters. The initial success came after Godolphin had for the second time supplied the runner-up in the Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) when Give the Slip was run down by Ethereal.
Kutub and Hatha Anna gave Godolphin two stakes wins Saturday, with the former winning the New Zealand Bloodstock Singapore Gold Cup in Singapore and the latter annexing the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Aus-II) at Flemington in Australia.
Most Popular Stories
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Darley Closes Aiken Training Track Stable
- American Pharoah Arrives at Monmouth
- O'Neill Sets Del Mar Record With Five Wins
- Grade II Winner Moulin de Mougin Retired
- London Tower Game in Eternal Search
- Top West Coast Mares Ready for Clement Hirsch
- Belmont Runner-Up Frosted Back in Jim Dandy
- Monmouth Ups Haskell Purse to $1.75 Million
- March Into Amsterdam Off Two Stakes Victories