Valiant Girl, given a hedge-skimming ride by Matthew Rispoli, produced a 42-1 shocker in the $100,000 My Charmer Stakes (gr. IIIT) on a good turf course Dec. 7 at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Out of the money in five starts this year, Miss Keller woke up in a huge way at Woodbine Oct. 16, taking the $991,288 E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-IT) in heart-pounding style as part of a three-horse blanket finish.
Miss Keller burst between horses in upper stretch and outfought Latin Love to the wire to win the $291,268 Canadian Stakes (Can-IIT) on the Woodbine turf Sept. 19.
Tuscan Evening remained unbeaten in six graded stakes in 2010 when she led Eclair de Lune all the way in the $150,000 Modesty Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Arlington Park turf July 17.
Odds-on choice Tuscan Evening earned her first grade I stakes win when she outfought 2008 female turf champion Forever Together by a half-length in the $250,000 Gamely Stakes (gr. IT) on the Hollywood Park turf May 29.
Prohibitive choice Tuscan Evening picked up her fourth graded stakes win of the Santa Anita season when she led all the way in defeating three rivals in the $147,000 Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) April 17.
A winner of six of 10 starts in 2009, Tuscan Evening got her new year off to a great start when she captured the $100,000 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) as the favorite on the turf Jan. 3 at Santa Anita.
Tuscan Evening had the pacesetting Patricia's Gem in her sights all the way, finally edging past her in the final 50 yards and winning a sprint to the wire by a nose in the $250,000 Royal Heroine Mile (gr. IIT) on the Hollywood Park turf July 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Uniform Drug Program Picking Up Support
- Heir Kitty Set for Return in Great Lady M
- Jockey Morales Posts 1,000th Career Victory
- Equine Infectious Disease Outbreak Response 101
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty
- Hialeah Sees New Thoroughbred Opportunity
- Panel: Change in Culture Needed in Racing