On Saturday, April 26, trainer Mike Maker wrapped up serious work for two of his three Kentucky Derby (gr. I) hopefuls when Vicar's in Trouble and Harry's Holiday each breezed five furlongs at Churchill Downs.
Hansen, the 2011 champion 2-year-old male who is one of the favorites for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), settled in at Churchill Downs in late morning May 2.
Trainer and Mike Maker and Thoroughbred owner Harvey Diamond have been down the Derby trail together...but this time they mean it.
Hansen, the 2-year-old champion of 2011 who is among the favorites for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), breezed five furlongs in 1:01 1/5 March 24 at the Churchill Downs Trackside Training Center.
The champion son of Tapit relaxed in the early going before using his brilliant speed en route to a convincing three-length victory in the $400,000 Gotham (gr. III) March 3 at Aqueduct.
Juvenile champion Hansen, attempting to rebound from his first loss in last month's Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III), is scheduled to make his next start in the $400,000 Gotham Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct March 3.
Hansen, a local horse coming off of pair of dominating wins at Turfway Park, desperately held off heavy favorite Union Rags to win a thriller in the $2 million Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) Nov. 5 at Churchill.
Most Popular Stories
- Curlin to Hill 'n' Dale in 2016
- Rachel's Valentina, Tonasah Head Spinaway
- USADA Contributes to Steroid Crackdown
- Del Mar Debutante Field Talented and Diverse
- Back to Business for Liam's Map in Woodward
- Spendthrift Out Front with Top Sires' Fees
- Goldy Espony on Streak Entering Glens Falls
- Suffolk to Reopen for First of Three Programs
- No Stability with Texas Commission Funding
- Takeover Target Heads Saranac