"It's going to be hard," Espinoza said of tackling the Run for the Roses on Whitmore. "But you never know. As long as I have a horse in the race, I always think I can win the Kentucky Derby."
Victor Espinoza has committed to ride Whitmore in the May 7 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), co-owner Harry Rosenblum said April 20.
Grade III winner Far Right is scheduled to make his 4-year-old debut Jan. 28 at Oaklawn Park in a third-level allowance/optional claiming race for older horses at a mile.
Arkansas will be well represented at this year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands as owners Harry Rosenblum and Robert LaPenta will have Southwest Stakes winner Far Right in the Run for the Roses.
- By Frank Angst
- Thoroughbred Racing, Thoroughbred Breeding, Triple Crown, Thoroughbred Sales, Kentucky
Jon Jazdzewski landed Far Right, then a short yearling, for $2,500 from the @Nossab LLC consignment, Darby Dan Farm agent, at the 2013 Keeneland January horses of all ages sale.
Robert LaPenta and Harry Rosenblum's Far Right was focused in his final work for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) April 24 at Churchill Downs, going four furlongs in :49 flat.
Multiple stakes winner Far Right recorded his final workout for the April 11 Arkansas Derby (gr. I) at Oaklawn Park the morning of April 4 for Ron Moquett. The Notional ridgling breezed an easy half-mile in :48 4/5.
The Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association will hold an educational Thoroughbred ownership seminar Feb. 21 at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark.
Lightly raced and undefeated Gentlemen's Bet will add some intrigue when he faces several tough competitors in the $250,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park April 13.
The first leg of Oaklawn Park's stakes program for older runners will kick off with Saturday's $100,000 Essex Handicap (gr. III). Discreet Hero will be seeking his first 2005 victory as the 115-pound topweight in the 1 1/16 mile-event.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Isabella Sings Sails Home in Eatontown
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago