Crafty Bear, the longest shot in a four-horse field, motored up the rail and won $50,900 Miracle Wood Stakes for 3-year-olds Saturday afternoon at Laurel Park.
Three weeks after cancer claimed his father, Cleve Delp saddled his first winner as trainer of record when Glenwood Ace ($5.80) won Laurel Park's second race. The 3-year-old gelding wired the field to win an $18,000 claimer by 9 Ã‚Â¾ lengths.
Hall of Fame trainer Grover G. "Bud" Delp, conditioner of the three-time champion Spectacular Bid, died Friday night at his Ellicott City home due to cancer. He was 74.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Wise Dan Back at the Track
- Mountaineer Cancels; Parx Loses Most of Card
- Wise Dan, Main Sequence Top Turf Classic Noms
- Hall Finalists Include Leatherbury, Lava Man
- Average, Median Rise at Inglis Yearling Sale
- The Jockey Club 2015 Fact Book Now Online
- Two Share Fastest Furlong Time at F-T Show
- New Social Media Rule for Australian Racing
- TOBA to Present Pedigree, Conformation Clinic
- Daredevil Back to Work After Swale Washout