Irish-bred Ballingarry makes his first start since the Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) in Sunday's $150,000 Arcadia Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/8 mile at Santa Anita, but the Canadian International (gr. IT) winner drew a tough spot for his return.
Ralph and Aury Todd's homebred The Tin Man carved up the field in Saturday's $200,000 San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT), romping to an easy front-running victory on a yielding Santa Anita turf course.
The Tin Man, second by a nose to stablemate Johar in his most recent start, will carry top weight of 121 pounds as the expected favorite in Saturday's $200,000 San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 ½ mile on turf at Santa Anita Park.
The Thoroughbred Corp.'s rapidly blossoming Johar unleashed an explosive stretch run to prevail in the final jump by a head over The Tin Man and Grammarian in Monday's exciting $150,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) on the grass for older horses at Santa Anita.
Despite a steep step up in company in Monday's $150,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) at 1 1/4 mile on the Santa Anita grass, jockey Patrick Valenzuela is confident Harrisand, the French-bred 5-year-old trained by Bobby Frankel, can handle the competition.
Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel moved to within $408,470 of D. Wayne Lukas' 1988 earnings record of $17,842,358 with a pair of winners on Sunday's card at Hollywood Park.
Harrisand never has raced on the dirt, but his two Travers Stakes workouts at Saratoga have his connections thinking he at least likes it.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan