Hardwicke Stable's Spite the Devil wore down Organizer inside the final furlong to win the $250,000 Empire Classic Handicap for New York breds Saturday for the second year in a row at Belmont Park.
New York grade II winner Best of Luck has been acquired by Elisabeth Jerkens' Hardwicke Stable and been relocated to Carl Lizza Jr. and Joseph Bartone's Highcliff Farm near Delanson, N.Y.
Hardwicke Stable's late-running Spite the Devil found himself to be the right horse in the right spot to win Saturday's $250,000 Empire Classic at Belmont Park.
Spite the Devil surged past the tiring leaders in the stretch and held off a late charge by Sherpa Guide by a half-length to win the $108,100 Evan Shipman Handicap on closing day of the Belmont spring/summer meeting on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Living The Life Beats Males in All American
- Exaggerator Gallops Lap Around Belmont Track
- Cyrus Alexander Wins Lone Star Handicap
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal
- 'Breaking' in a New Fan
- Belterra Stakes Dead Heat Follows Churchill