Lee Lewis' Mystic Lady turned back a stretch-long challenge from Happily Unbridled to win the $75,000 Banshee Breeze Handicap on Friday at Gulfstream Park.
Forest Secrets sat just off Summer Colony's right flank until the pair approached the quarter-mile pole in Saturday's $200,000 Rampart Handicap (gr. II). From there, Forest Secrets moved to the lead in the stretch en route to winning the 1 1/8-mile Gulfstream Park feature by three lengths as the even-money favorite.
De Bertie, a two-time stakes winner over the Gulfstream Park strip last year, heads a field of 13 fillies and mares in Friday's $65,000 Escena Stakes at 1 1/16 miles. If all 13 go, the race will have a gross value of $75,400, with $45,240 to the winner.
Gulfstream Park will close out the 2001 season Friday, featuring an 11-race card that includes three stakes including the $200,000 Bonnie Miss Stakes, and the return of last year's Florida Derby (gr. I) winner.
Trainer Neil Howard began the Gulfstream meet with some well-bred and unraced 3-year-olds and one of them, undefeated Unbridled Lassie, will be starting in Friday's Bonnie Miss Stakes (gr. II). The 1 1/8-mile test is the closing day feature and will also feature runners Lasting Sensation and Happily Unbridled.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Lenny's Place: Spring Training Edition
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Slideshow: On the Way In Uruguay
- Lopez Lets El Kabeir Be 'The Boss'
- HOF Trainer Jerkens in Intensive Care in FL
- Crimson Giant Chasing Unlikely Big 'Cap Glory
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Horses to Watch at F-T Florida Sale
- American Pharoah Tops 162 Blue Grass Nominees