The 14 Breeders' Cup World Championship races Nov. 1-2 highlight the 27 graded stakes carded for the 24-day Santa Anita Park fall meet that begins Sept. 27.
Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will conduct its 70th race meeting beginning July 22 led by a veteran team of racing officials. Heading up the effort will by DMTC's vice president for racing, Tom Robbins, who also serves as the track's director of racing and racing secretary. This will be his 29th summer in the seaside racing office.
A suggestion from Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella that rules for claiming races be changed to protect against horses with physical problems being passed along as "hot potatoes" to someone else appears to be taking root.
Del Mar Derby (gr. IT) winner Blackdoun worked seven furlongs in 1:28 1/5 around the dogs over a Santa Anita turf course labeled "good" Monday morning under regular exercise rider Jose Dominguez after which time Canani gave owners Marsha Naify and Christina and Laurent Zilber the OK to supplement the gray 3-year-old to the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) and pre-enter.
Astra returns at Santa Anita Saturday from a seven-month layoff, but the Santa Ana Handicap (gr. I) is no easy spot as the starting gate will also be populated by grade I winners Janet, Tout Charmant, Golden Apples, and Starine.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Look Back: Master Derby Wins Louisiana Derby
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success