Meadowlands, which went from cash cow to undesirable according to a recent report, got a boost Aug. 7 when its Hambletonian Day program produced the third-highest total handle in harness racing history.
Members of the Hambletonian Society said they've made personal and collective commitments to raise $100,000 for the continued funding of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium. The decision was made at the July meeting of the society, which has been involved with the RMTC since last year.
The Aug. 6-7 weekend of racing in New Jersey generated on-track attendance of more than 75,000 and a handle record of more than $21 million, according to the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.
A Standardbred with Thoroughbred ties is among the favorites for the $1-million Hambletonian for 3-year-old trotters Aug. 7 at Meadowlands in New Jersey.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- No Stopping Irish Mission in La Prevoyante
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Speechify Takes Mr. Prospector at Gulfstream
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner