Meadowlands, which went from cash cow to undesirable according to a recent report, got a boost Aug. 7 when its Hambletonian Day program produced the third-highest total handle in harness racing history.
Members of the Hambletonian Society said they've made personal and collective commitments to raise $100,000 for the continued funding of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium. The decision was made at the July meeting of the society, which has been involved with the RMTC since last year.
The Aug. 6-7 weekend of racing in New Jersey generated on-track attendance of more than 75,000 and a handle record of more than $21 million, according to the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.
A Standardbred with Thoroughbred ties is among the favorites for the $1-million Hambletonian for 3-year-old trotters Aug. 7 at Meadowlands in New Jersey.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park