Multiple graded stakes winner It's a Bird returns to Florida for the first time since taking the Sunshine Millions Classic in January as the 122-pound high weight in the $200,000 Carl G. Rose Classic, the co-main event in the annual Florida Million program for state-breds at Calder Casino & Race Course Nov. 14.
Rolbea Thoroughbreds' 4-year-old homebred Finallymadeit was the 'Iron Horse' of South Florida last year. He made 19 starts with eight victories and four seconds, earned $362,000, and all but one of those starts came in sprint races for trainer Javier Negrete.
Fair Weather Stan and Fearless Eagle renew their rivalry as part of a full field entered for the $200,000 Calder Derby presented by Woodford Reserve (gr. IIIT) on the Florida track's turf course Oct. 13.
Donald Adam's Longley could be peaking just in time for the inaugural running of the $300,000 Barbaro Stakes (gr. III), formerly the Leonard Richards, at Delaware Park on Sunday.
Sightseeing loves a good fight, but the 3-5 favorite in Sunday's $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) nearly cut it too close when he got up in the final stride to nose 14-1 outsider Prom Shoes at Belmont Park.
It will be a rematch of sorts in the Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) when the top three finishers of the Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III)-- Nobiz Like Shobiz, Drums of Thunder, and Scat Daddy-- return to the starting gate March 3 for the $350,000 race going 1 1/8 mile at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Awesome Baby Heads Speedy Field in La Brea
- Los Alamitos Concludes Successful Winter Meet
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Clement Trio Looms Large in La Prevoyante
- Strong Field Set for Mathis Brothers Mile
- Divine Oath, North Slope Meet in McKnight
- Speechify Goes for Grade in Mr. Prospector