With strong out-of-state business leading the way, the Oak Tree Racing Association meet, which ended Nov. 4, posted significant gains in all sources mutuel handle over last year's figures. Out-of-state average daily handle was up 18% over last year and average daily total handle for the meet was up 9%.
Unrelenting rain forced Santa Anita Park to abandon racing Sunday after the first race, the first such cancellation at the Southern California track in 10 years.
Eighteen months after his appointment, Chris McCarron will step down as general manager of Santa Anita Park. He will remain in a management role as vice president of industry relations for parent company Magna Entertainment Corp.
Yearlings sired by Storm Cat were in demand Thursday night during the third and final session of the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling sale in Saratoga Springs, New York. After gross and average price declines during the Tuesday and Wednesday sessions, numbers rose during the final session when compared with the same night one year ago.
Most Popular Stories
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Ben's Cat Set for 10-Year-Old Debut
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion
- Nyquist Jogs in Advance of Final Derby Work
- First Winner for Caleb's Posse at Gulfstream
- Sherman Seeks California Chrome Stakes Upset
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Mad Flatter Euthanized After Accident
- Horse Caucus Takes Testimony on Drug Bill
- Espinoza Back for More in Kentucky Derby