Augustine "Gus" Williams, whose trademark Derby hat, plaid jacket and canary yellow pants made him one of Sackatoga Stables most colorful characters during Funny Cide's memorable Triple Crown run, died April 12 at the age of 81.
Sackatoga Stable's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Funny Cide has been entered in a seven-furlong allowance/optional claiming race on Saturday's card at Gulfstream Park.
The Turf Publicists of America (TPA) will honor the fun-loving Sackatoga Stable crew from the tiny village of Sackets Harbor, N.Y., with its Big Sport of Turfdom Award.
Four yellow school busses carrying Funny Cide's owners (who comprise Sackatoga Stable) and their friends arrived at Belmont Park at 11:30 a.m. today after a short but eventful journey from the Sheraton Hotel near John F. Kennedy Airport.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Asmussen, Albarado Team for Four-Win Day
- Leading Laurel Rider McCarthy Breaks Wrist
- Favored Act of War Captures Cape Guineas
- CHRB Eyes Scratching of Unreported Geldings
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer