Augustine "Gus" Williams, whose trademark Derby hat, plaid jacket and canary yellow pants made him one of Sackatoga Stables most colorful characters during Funny Cide's memorable Triple Crown run, died April 12 at the age of 81.
Sackatoga Stable's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Funny Cide has been entered in a seven-furlong allowance/optional claiming race on Saturday's card at Gulfstream Park.
The Turf Publicists of America (TPA) will honor the fun-loving Sackatoga Stable crew from the tiny village of Sackets Harbor, N.Y., with its Big Sport of Turfdom Award.
Four yellow school busses carrying Funny Cide's owners (who comprise Sackatoga Stable) and their friends arrived at Belmont Park at 11:30 a.m. today after a short but eventful journey from the Sheraton Hotel near John F. Kennedy Airport.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Lady Aurelia Overpowers Males in King's Stand