General a Rod defeated Hutcheson Stakes (gr. III) winner Wildcat Red by a head in the Gulfstream Park Derby, as they meet again in the Fountain of Youth Stakes.
Off his hard-fought runner-up finish in the Gulfstream Park Derby on New Year's Day, Florida-bred Wildcat Red earned his way into the mix for the track's key races for 3-year-olds.
Itsmyluckyday defeated champion Shanghai Bobby and set a track record at Gulfstream Park in the process when he won the $400,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 26.
Kauai Katie is the biggest name of a loaded stakes day at Gulfstream Park Jan. 1. She'll contest the $100,000 Old Hat Stakes (gr. III) while sophomore males duke it out in the Gulfstream Park Derby and Spectacular Bid.
Stretched out to two turns for the first time, Reveron responded with a half-length victory in the inaugural $100,000 Gulfstream Park Derby Jan. 1 for his third consecutive win.
Awesome Belle, Bet to Win, and Say a Novena, all consistent performers until their most recent stakes efforts, will try to take a step back in the right direction when they contest the Old Hat (gr. III) Jan. 1 at Gulfstream.
Trainer Nick Zito said the inaugural Gulfstream Park Derby Jan. 1 is under consideration for Casual Trick, a son of Bernardini who broke his maiden impressively in his second career start.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired