Front-running Warleigh nearly pulled off a theft of Sunday's $172,800 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on a yielding Churchill Downs turf, but he could not hold off the relentless charge of upsetter Hard Buck in the final stages.
Gainsborough Farm's Moon Solitaire, a European import who has exceeded expectations this year while competing against many of the finest turf horses in North America, faces defending winner Dr. Kashnikow and 10 other rivals in the $150,000-added River City Handicap (gr. III) Sunday at Churchill Downs.
Falcon Flight and England's Legend, both French-breds, to advance after winning Million Preview Day stakes at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Tapwrit Works Towards Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start