Front-running Warleigh nearly pulled off a theft of Sunday's $172,800 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on a yielding Churchill Downs turf, but he could not hold off the relentless charge of upsetter Hard Buck in the final stages.
Gainsborough Farm's Moon Solitaire, a European import who has exceeded expectations this year while competing against many of the finest turf horses in North America, faces defending winner Dr. Kashnikow and 10 other rivals in the $150,000-added River City Handicap (gr. III) Sunday at Churchill Downs.
Falcon Flight and England's Legend, both French-breds, to advance after winning Million Preview Day stakes at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Maurice, Chautauqua Victorious in Hong Kong
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Alert Bay Holds Tough in San Francisco Mile