After completing its second holiday meet run over a Polytrack surface in 2006, Turfway Park reported a healthy 7.5% increase in on-track wagering and an 18.7% jump in all-source handle.
Turfway Park closed its four-month Winter/Spring Meet April 7 with mixed results, as on-track handle held steady but off-track wagering slipped compared to the same period last year.
Champali benefited from a blistering pace in Saturday's $162,150 Aristides Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III), overcoming a poor start to post a convincing 3 1/4-length triumph.
Lloyd Madison Farms' favored Silver Minister drew away from the field to post an impressive victory over a strong group of invaders in the $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial for 3-year-olds Saturday, his fourth consecutive victory at Turfway Park.
Champali, June's winner of the Northern Dancer stakes at Churchill Downs, emerges as the slight favorite in Saturday's fifth running of the $250,000 Iowa Derby at Prairie Meadows.
Champali, with Jason Lumpkins riding, took the lead with a wide move on the turn for home, shook off a challenge from Chicken Soup in the stretch and drew off late to capture Saturday's $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes for 3-year-olds by 3 1/4 lengths at Turfway Park.
Front-running Champali re-rallied after relinquishing the lead in mid-stretch to score a one-length victory over Alke in the $100,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at one mile over the Churchill Downs main track.
Most Popular Stories
- McCarron Named New Trainer at Merryland Farm
- Baffert: Dortmund is 'Figuring it Out'
- Bill Would Allow Dealers at Indiana Racinos
- Churchill Weighs In on Its Racing Operations
- North Dakota May Owe Bankrupt ADW Millions
- Local Time Continues Meydan Dominance
- Horton Considers Rebel for Take Charge Brandi
- First Foal for Nephrite is Filly
- Greyhound 'Cessation' Bill Sends a Warning
- THS: Swale Stakes