Shamus Award tried for the seemingly impossible in the Aus$1million Australian Cup (Aus-I) March 8 at Flemington. He led nearly all the way, but then wilted late as Fiorente proved himself the nation's best horse.
Unbeaten champion mare Black Caviar was named Australia's Horse of the Year for the third successive season Oct. 3 at a national awards ceremony in Melbourne.
Australian racing has a new sweetheart. Atlantic Jewel made a smashing return from injury Aug. 30 at Caulfield and easily won the New Zealand Bloodstock Memsie Stakes (Aus-I) to remain undefeated.
Shamexpress won the $1 million Newmarket Handicap and Super Cool captured the $1 million Australia Cup March 9 at Flemington.
All Too Hard, the younger half brother of superstar Black Caviar, launched an eye-catching acceleration off the turn at Caulfield Feb. 23 and rolled to a 3 1/4-length victory in the $500,000 Futurity Stakes (Aus-I)
Green Moon upstaged the two most recent winners of the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) when he captured this year's edition of "the race that stops a nation" Nov. 6 at Flemington Racecourse.
A long-range plan ended perfectly Oct. 27 when Ocean Park wore down All Too Hard in the closing stages and captured the $3-million Sportingbet W. S. Cox Plate (Aus-I), Australia's premier weight-for-age race.
Nick Williams, who owns Cox Plate contender Green Moon.
Craig Williams jockey of Green Moon in Cox Plate.
Trainer Gai Waterhouse has a three-pronged attack for the Sportingbet W. S. Cox Plate (Aus-I), Australia's premier weight-for-age race on Oct. 27 at Moonee Valley Racecourse, led by champions Pierro and More Joyous.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan