The partnership that owns the stallion Maria's Mon has pledged contributions to equine research should Monarchos, who's by Maria's Mon, win Saturday's grade I Wood Memorial Stakes and/or the grade I Kentucky Derby May 5. The pledge was announced by Mrs. Josephine Abercrombie's Pin Oak Stud, home of Maria's Mon, the champion 2-year-old of 1995.
John C. Oxley, who with wife Debby has a pair of Triple Crown candidates in Florida Derby (gr. I) winner Monarchos and graded stakes-placed Hero's Tribute, announced that 1% of money either colt wins through victories in grade I races through the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) will be earmarked for the Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation. The donations are retroactive to the Florida Derby, in which Monarchos earned $600,000 (which provided $6,000 to the foundation).
The Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation will fund 12 new equine health studies, including one that will look at extracorporeal shock wave therapy.
The Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation has allocated more than $1 million for 12 projects this year. Much of the research involves two-year projects that will be funded along with five carryover initiatives from 2000.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale