Cushing's disease (CD) has been identified as the most common cause of laminitis among horses seen at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. Dr. Mark Donaldson, an assistant professor at the university's School of Veterinary Medicine, led the research effort.
Cyanide has been identified as a potential risk or contributing factor in two illnesses that have dominated the Thoroughbred industry headlines this year.
The death of Dubai Millennium from grass sickness has again highlighted the devastating effects of the disease, and brought to prominence research tied to finding causes and a cure.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- It's a safe assumption that Dubai Millennium has always gotten the best care money can buy, from his days as a foal and racehorse, and certainly in the early stages of his stallion career at Dalham Hall Stud in Newmarket, England. But that wasn't enough to prevent his death from grass sickness, an insidious disease.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Awesome Baby Heads Speedy Field in La Brea
- Los Alamitos Concludes Successful Winter Meet
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Strong Field Set for Mathis Brothers Mile
- Divine Oath, North Slope Meet in McKnight
- Clement Trio Looms Large in La Prevoyante
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Speechify Goes for Grade in Mr. Prospector