The $100,000 Jim McKay Turf Sprint was moved to the main track after heavy rain in Baltimore, but it made little difference to Ben's Cat, who won the event for the third time in four years May 16 at Pimlico Race Course.
Jockey Grant Whitacre will miss the entire spring meet at Pimlico Race Course after he cracked the T6 vertebra in his back and broke his nose during a spill during training March 30 at Laurel Park.
Retired jockey Jesse Davidson died Jan. 16 in his Ellicott City, Md., home.
Sumacha'hot, a Maryland-bred who was claimed for $5,000 a year ago, came charging down the stretch to win the $190,000 Jim McKay Maryland Million Classic, the Sept. 26 headliner on Laurel Park's 12-race Maryland Million Day card.
Apprentice rider Grant Whitacre scored his first career victory when he piloted Festy Eskimo to a convincing victory at odds of 13-1 in the sixth race at Laurel Park Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage