The $100,000 Jim McKay Turf Sprint was moved to the main track after heavy rain in Baltimore, but it made little difference to Ben's Cat, who won the event for the third time in four years May 16 at Pimlico Race Course.
Jockey Grant Whitacre will miss the entire spring meet at Pimlico Race Course after he cracked the T6 vertebra in his back and broke his nose during a spill during training March 30 at Laurel Park.
Retired jockey Jesse Davidson died Jan. 16 in his Ellicott City, Md., home.
Sumacha'hot, a Maryland-bred who was claimed for $5,000 a year ago, came charging down the stretch to win the $190,000 Jim McKay Maryland Million Classic, the Sept. 26 headliner on Laurel Park's 12-race Maryland Million Day card.
Apprentice rider Grant Whitacre scored his first career victory when he piloted Festy Eskimo to a convincing victory at odds of 13-1 in the sixth race at Laurel Park Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options
- Beholder, 'Lord' Likely to Retire After BC
- Drosselmeyer to Remain in Brazil
- Noble Bird Heads Field of Eight in Fayette
- Forever Unbridled, Tom's Ready Work for BC
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Despite Challenges, Gulfstream West Steady
- Nine Supplemented to Fasig-Tipton November