If Little Mike makes Arlington Million history, it will be over the likes of Grandeur, Indy Point, The Apache, and Hunter's Light as top international turf contenders gather at Arlington Park for the oval's marquee event.
- By Claire Novak
Claire Novak journeys to Arlington Park for the International Festival of Racing. read blog
Little Mike, who took the 2012 Arlington Million (gr. IT), will defend his crown against a field that includes the winners of group I races on four other continents in the Aug. 17 running at Arlington Park.
Defending Arlington Million (gr. IT) champion Little Mike, trained by Dale Romans, was pre-entered along with 13 others for the 31st renewal of the prestigious race Aug. 17.
Favored Grandeur earned his second grade II win from three United States starts when he came from off the pace to capture the $250,000 Hollywood Turf Cup by three-quarters of a length at Betfair Hollywood Park Dec. 15.
Runner-up as the favorite in the Hollywood Derby (gr. IT), Grandeur will try to become the first 3-year-old since Bien Bien in 1992 to win the Hollywood Turf Cup (gr. IIT) Dec. 15 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Unbridled Command, making his first appearance outside of New York, stepped into grade I company with an impressive victory in the $250,000 Hollywood Derby, the final race of the 2012 Turf Festival Nov. 25.
Fifteen 3-year-olds, including Travers Stakes (gr. I) dead-heat winner Golden Ticket, are entered in the $250,000 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) Nov. 25 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Irish-bred Grandeur, with William Buick up, rallies from last after stumbling at the start Nov. 2 to win the $150,000 Twilight Derby (gr. IIT) to cap off the Breeders' Cup Friday card at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Penn National Plans to Race 200 Days in 2014