Stronach Stables' 5-year-old French-bred mare Amorama came from off the pace to win the $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder Race Course on Saturday, as part of the track's "Grand Slam I" day.
Calder Race Course on Jan. 23 announced its stakes schedules for its 2004 Calder and Tropical meets, which run consecutively.
Four-year-old filly Barbara O'Brien scored her first graded stakes victory, taking the $100,000 Chaposa Springs Handicap (gr. III) at Calder during Grand Slam I on Saturday.
Buckram Oak Farm's Silver Wagon and John Franks' Chatter Chatter are two of the most exciting 2-year-old prospects developed at Calder in recent years and will be among the stars performing in Saturday's Grand Slam I races.
While the public may have deserted him, the man who knows him best never lost faith. Though the highweight among the dozen starters, Band Is Passing, the favorite in 11 of his past 12 starts--each of which came in a stakes--could muster no more support from his home crowd than the 7-1 fourth-betting choice in Calder's Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) on Dec. 8. But his handy win by 3 1/4 lengths validated what his owner and trainer Stanley Ersoff had been saying all along.
The fields are set for the four $100,000 stakes races to be run on Saturday's Grand Slam I program at Calder Race Course -- the biggest afternoon of racing on the national calendar that day.
Florida-breds horses racing under saddle cloth three swept all four legs of the Grand Slam I races at Calder Saturday and the pick four linking those races returned a healthy $6,678.60 for each $1 wagered.
On Saturday, Calder Race Course hosts Grand Slam I, with four stakes races offered with purses of $100,000 each. The four Grand Slam I races, consisting of three graded stakes and the Three Ring Stakes, will comprise a $100,000 guaranteed pick four.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park