An overflow field of 16 passed the entry box for the 12th running of the Pete Axthelm Stakes Saturday to be contested over 7 1/2 furlongs on the turf at Calder Race Course. Only 12 3-year-olds will be allowed to start.
Trainer Ken McPeek hopes to close the 136th Saratoga Race Course meet on a winning note when he ships Prince Arch from Kentucky for the $100,000-added Saranac Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds at 1 3/16-mile on the turf.
Arthur I. Appleton's homebred Icy Atlantic rolled to a 1 1/4-length and a quarter victory over Commendation in Monday's $100,00 Jersey Derby (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park.
A field of nine will try the Churchill Downs turf Friday in the $100,000 Crown Royal American Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT), the race immediately preceding the headliner on the day, the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Commendation took charge with an eighth of a mile remaining and drew away to a decisive victory in the $112,800 Bourbon County Stakes Friday at Keeneland.
William Schettine's Bachelor Blues and jockey Todd Kabel went gate to wire to capture the $285,500 Summer Stakes (Can-II) for 2-year-olds Sunday at Woodbine.
Gary Stevens, Hall of Fame jockey and star of the hit movie 'Seabiscuit,' will not be aboard Numerous Times for the Atto Mile (Can-I) Sunday at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- WinStar Farm Acquires Interest in Upstart
- Broad Offering Should Keep OBS April Growing
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 20
- Red Cadeaux Nearing Record Earnings Plateau
- Mitchell Remembered as 'Brilliant Horseman'
- Late-Running Longshots Key to Derby Super
- 2015 Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Prep Race Results and Points