An overflow field of 16 passed the entry box for the 12th running of the Pete Axthelm Stakes Saturday to be contested over 7 1/2 furlongs on the turf at Calder Race Course. Only 12 3-year-olds will be allowed to start.
Trainer Ken McPeek hopes to close the 136th Saratoga Race Course meet on a winning note when he ships Prince Arch from Kentucky for the $100,000-added Saranac Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds at 1 3/16-mile on the turf.
Arthur I. Appleton's homebred Icy Atlantic rolled to a 1 1/4-length and a quarter victory over Commendation in Monday's $100,00 Jersey Derby (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park.
A field of nine will try the Churchill Downs turf Friday in the $100,000 Crown Royal American Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT), the race immediately preceding the headliner on the day, the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Commendation took charge with an eighth of a mile remaining and drew away to a decisive victory in the $112,800 Bourbon County Stakes Friday at Keeneland.
William Schettine's Bachelor Blues and jockey Todd Kabel went gate to wire to capture the $285,500 Summer Stakes (Can-II) for 2-year-olds Sunday at Woodbine.
Gary Stevens, Hall of Fame jockey and star of the hit movie 'Seabiscuit,' will not be aboard Numerous Times for the Atto Mile (Can-I) Sunday at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- McCarron: Clarification
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System