An overflow field of 16 passed the entry box for the 12th running of the Pete Axthelm Stakes Saturday to be contested over 7 1/2 furlongs on the turf at Calder Race Course. Only 12 3-year-olds will be allowed to start.
Trainer Ken McPeek hopes to close the 136th Saratoga Race Course meet on a winning note when he ships Prince Arch from Kentucky for the $100,000-added Saranac Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds at 1 3/16-mile on the turf.
Arthur I. Appleton's homebred Icy Atlantic rolled to a 1 1/4-length and a quarter victory over Commendation in Monday's $100,00 Jersey Derby (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park.
A field of nine will try the Churchill Downs turf Friday in the $100,000 Crown Royal American Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT), the race immediately preceding the headliner on the day, the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Commendation took charge with an eighth of a mile remaining and drew away to a decisive victory in the $112,800 Bourbon County Stakes Friday at Keeneland.
William Schettine's Bachelor Blues and jockey Todd Kabel went gate to wire to capture the $285,500 Summer Stakes (Can-II) for 2-year-olds Sunday at Woodbine.
Gary Stevens, Hall of Fame jockey and star of the hit movie 'Seabiscuit,' will not be aboard Numerous Times for the Atto Mile (Can-I) Sunday at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Del Mar Addressing Safety, Field Size Concerns
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Remembering Ben's Cat
- Look Back: Shuvee Completes a Filly Triple Crown
- Leatherbury, Maryland Racing Mourn Ben's Cat
- Dickinson, Lady Eli to Meet Again in Diana
- Biancone Moves Closer to Kentucky Reinstatement
- Direct Dial, Admiral Jimmy Vie Again in Sanford
- Ky. HBPA Teams with Ellis for 'College Day'