Dennis Drazin, a longtime Thoroughbred owner and breeder who has served as president of the New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, has been confirmed as a member of the New Jersey Racing Commission.
New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine signed an executive order March 5 creating a commission to study the state's horse racing industry and develop solutions for its long-term viability. The casino industry, which for years has subsidized horse racing in the state, will be involved in preparing the blueprint.
Two New Jersey lawmakers have taken a bipartisan approach in urging the governor to quickly form a committee to examine the state and future of the horse racing and breeding industry.
New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine signed legislation April 11 that allows a $90-million purse supplement for New Jersey racetracks to move forward. Now, the racing industry must decide how the money will be divvied up for purses at perhaps four racetracks.
Atlantic City casinos have agreed to boost financial help for New Jersey's racetracks, but officials said long-term funding issues remain.
Delays in a purse supplement or other forms of financial relief from the state have led New Jersey's harness racing industry to brace for serious purse reductions.
Two weeks before the Breeders' Cup World Championships at Monmouth Park, New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine said he would support financial assistance for the state's horse racing and breeding industries.
New Jersey racetracks were closed for live racing and simulcasting Thursday due to a continuing budget standoff in the state capital of Trenton. It was the first live card lost at Monmouth Park and the third at Meadowlands, which offers nighttime harness racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Belmont Fall Championship Meet Opens Sept. 5
- Breeder, Businessman Garvin Dies at Age 71