The California state Senate Oct. 7 confirmed Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's appointment of chairman Keith Brackpool and actress Bo Derek and to the California Horse Racing Board.
California Thoroughbred racetracks, subject to regulatory approval, could increase pari-mutuel takeout -- return less money to bettors -- and change how the revenue is distributed under legislation signed into law Oct. 23 by Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
California Horse Racing Board chairman Richard Shapiro announced his resignation Dec. 15 during a meeting of the board at Santa Anita Park.
Jerry Moss, who along with his wife Ann reached horse racing's pinnacle as owners when Giacomo won the 2005 Kentucky Derby (gr. I), has something more to celebrate -- a lifetime achievement award from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
A report to California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said the state should consider a reorganization of district agricultural associations and the state fair, as well as the sale of the Del Mar Fairgounds to private interests.
A proposed tribal mega-casino less than seven miles from Golden Gate Fields spurred a massive lobbying effort from California's $4.5-billion horse racing industry the week of Aug. 23.
It was a bad week for California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who found himself stumping for voter support for his overdue 2004-05 budget plan at Mary's Pizza Shack in rural Dixon, along Interstate 80 west of Sacramento.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome Tops U.S. Nominees for World Cup Card
- Jockey Chapa Faces Felony Race-Fixing Charges
- First Foal Reported for Fort Larned
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for Jan. 27, 2015
- First Foal Reported for Morning Line
- Fastnet Rock Filly Tops NZ Premier Sale
- Nerud-Owned and Bred Colt Wins at Big A
- Washington Owner/Breeder Paxton Dead at 76
- Fasig-Tipton Catalogs 175 for March 2YO Sale