Five fillies, led in by winner Mossfun, dominated the finish of the Toohey's New Golden Slipper Stakes (Aus-I), the world's richest 2-year-old race, April 5 at Rosehill Gardens.
by Anne Peters
Black Caviar raced from ages 2 to 6 with 25 starts, and was never beaten. She's just been retired, and thoughts now turn to which stallion her owners will send her to in the upcoming breeding season.
Gai Waterhouse had a pretty good feeling last winter that Overreach would win the $3.5 million Golden Slipper Stakes (Aus-I), and the filly delivered her trainer a fifth victory in the world's richest 2-year-old race April 6.
Two-year-old colt Pierro remained unbeaten in four starts when he collared pacesetter Snitzerland for a half-length victory in Australia's $3.5 million Golden Slipper Stakes (Aus-I) at Rosehill April 7.
Melbourne's top jockey Damien Oliver wowed them with a pari of group I wins on one of Sydney's biggest racing days March 31, almost on the second anniversary of a race fall which threatened his life and his saddle career.
It was the run of a born superstar and when Mimi Lebrock overcame every obstacle to land the (Aus)$1 million Conrad Jupiters Magic Millions 2-Year-Old Classic (1,200 meters) at the Gold Coast, and everyone knew they had seen something special.
The world's richest 2-year-old race, the $2.8 million (U.S.) Golden Slipper Stakes (Aus-I) over 1,200 meters (six furlongs) run at Rosehill Gardens in Sydney, takes place this Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Alert Bay Wins Mathis Brothers Mile Thriller
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Six Grade I Races Set for Belmont Stakes Day
- Salutos Amigos Adds Gravesend Stakes Victory
- New York Stallion Series On Tap at Aqueduct