Chilean-bred Tronare, making his first American stakes start, defeated favored Soud in a powerful stretch duel to capture Sunday's $90,00 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the turf.
Golden Gate Fields will reduce overnight purses by 3.8% beginning Feb. 11 due to total handle falling short of expectations, track officials announced Friday.
Ninebanks and Surprise Halo turned the $150,000 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) into their own match race Sunday at Golden Gate Fields, battling from start to finish in the 1 1/8-miles turf race for 4-year-olds and up.
Royal Gem, who captured the Bay Meadows Derby in November, will make his 4-year-old debut Sunday on the grass at Golden Gate Fields in the $150,000 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Amerman Racing Stables' No Slip rallied from last place in a five-horse field to win Saturday's $155,000 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Golden Gate Fields.
Three Plus U Stable's Northern Quest, taking advantage of a soft turf course he seems to prefer, split horses at the top of the stretch en route to a 1 1/2-length victory in the $242,500 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on Sunday at Golden Gate Fields. Under Victor Espinoza, the 6-year-old French-bred completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:58.58.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Trainer Baird Reaches Win 2,000
- Malibu Moon, Tapit Colts Could Shine at F-T
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill