The racing career of Australia's iron maiden, multiple group I winner Gold Edition, is over after she resumed from a spell in the group I Lightning Stakes on 2 February at Flemington and failed to run a place.
It was only six very quick furlongs, but The Age Sprint Classic at Flemington on Nov. 10 has been the race of the Melbourne Spring Carnival thus far.
It took a few dramatically unsuccessful attempts for connections to realize that Australia's former champion 3-year-old filly, Gold Edition, would be a senior superstar too, if simply allowed to run. She did that and won the Manikato Stakes Sept. 15.
The many outstanding performances by Australian Thoroughbreds, both domestic and abroad, have been officially crowned in Australia. The 2006-2007 ANZ (Australia and New Zealand) Classifications were released, reflecting the best individual performances by Southern Hemisphere-bred horses in the past 12 months.
Former jockey Tracey Bartley was close to tears immediately following the running of the QTC Stradbroke Handicap (Aus-I) over seven furlongs at Eagle Farm racecourse in Australia on Saturday.
In the euphoria which followed Miss Andretti's record breaking Newmarket Handicap (Aus-I) success on March 10, Lee Freedman placed the mare on the same elevated plane as Makybe Diva.
It is so pleasing when the best horse in the race wins. And that's excatly what turned out as the dust settled on the (Aus) $1 million Magic Millions 3-Year-Old Classic when Gold Edition, Australia's premier sprinting sophomore, scorched the turf to lead all the way and win by a widening five lengths.
Victoria Derby Day at Flemington boasts no less than five grade I events and three of the four Derby support races fell to offspring of Danehill sons Nov. 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile
- Churchill Proposes Derby Bet on Winning Sire
- Cary Street Leads 11 in Hawthorne Gold Cup
- Derby Winners Have Enjoyed Turf Success
- Speedy Cassatt Dusts Rivals in Zia Park Oaks
- Lord Nelson Could Rule Kentucky Jockey Club
- Romans Likes Added Distance for Remsen Pair
- Maryland Jockey Club Focus on Daily Product
- Unbeaten Dame Dorothy Can Cap Year in Comely