Japan's first group I race of the year was won in fine style by Copano Rickey, who pulled off a massive upset with his half-length triumph over Hokko Tarumae in the February Stakes Feb. 23 at Tokyo Racecourse.
Heavy favorite Espoir City, Japan's champion dirt horse last year, got his 2010 campaign off to a great start by easily winning the US$2.2 million February Stakes, the first grade I race of the season Feb. 21 at Tokyo.
Favored Espoir City became the 10th champion of the Japan Cup Dirt Dec. 6 at Hanshin Racecourse, going wire-to-wire from the rail post to finish 3 1/2 lengths ahead of Silk Mobius for his first group I victory.
Most Popular Stories
- Lopez Family Faces Off at Golden Gate
- Old Friends Cabin Creek Welcomes Be Bullish
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- American Pharoah Jogs One Mile at Churchill
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- Miss Temple City on Schedule for Royal Ascot
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- MarketWatch: McPeek on Yearling Selection
- Woodbine Plans Events to Send Off Loiselle
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate