With the wind blowing and rain falling, B. Wayne Hughes' Greeley's Galaxy rolled through a three-furlong workout in :34.87 on a sloppy track at Pimlico Race Course Friday morning in preparation for Saturday's Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
B. Wayne Hughes' Greeley's Galaxy worked a mile at Churchill Downs Thursday, displaying his readiness for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), according to 83-year-old veteran California trainer Warren Stute.
After the inexperienced Greeley's Galaxy made a laugher out of Saturday's $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II), it didn' take owner B. Wayne Hughes long to make a decision on whether he would spend $200,000 to supplement his chestnut colt to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Warren Stute continued to rest at his Arcadia home Saturday morning, but the veteran Southern California's trainer of more than 60 years is already thinking about his return to Del Mar, according to his younger brother, Mel Stute.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic Endgame for Gun Runner in 2017
- Knee Chip Knocks El Areeb Off Derby Trail
- Baffert Could Send Three to Santa Anita Derby
- Sheikh Mohammed 'Definitely' Plans to Hike DWC Purse
- Del Mar Altering Main Track Banking and Grading
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Averill's R Angel Katelyn Set for Florida Cup Day
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Olorda Brings Back Class to Orchid Stakes
- Federal Bills Aim to Increase Industry Participation