With the wind blowing and rain falling, B. Wayne Hughes' Greeley's Galaxy rolled through a three-furlong workout in :34.87 on a sloppy track at Pimlico Race Course Friday morning in preparation for Saturday's Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
B. Wayne Hughes' Greeley's Galaxy worked a mile at Churchill Downs Thursday, displaying his readiness for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), according to 83-year-old veteran California trainer Warren Stute.
After the inexperienced Greeley's Galaxy made a laugher out of Saturday's $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II), it didn' take owner B. Wayne Hughes long to make a decision on whether he would spend $200,000 to supplement his chestnut colt to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Warren Stute continued to rest at his Arcadia home Saturday morning, but the veteran Southern California's trainer of more than 60 years is already thinking about his return to Del Mar, according to his younger brother, Mel Stute.
Most Popular Stories
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- Desormeaux Failed Breathalyzer at Del Mar
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- Untapable Looks for Shuvee Relief
- First Winners for Pair of Louisiana Stallions
- Gimme Da Lute Brings Class to Real Good Deal
- Real Solution Acquired by Calumet Farm
- Protonico Heads Monmouth Cup Stakes Cast
- Monmouth Tried to Launch Three-Race Series