Sheila Laxon is the first woman to prepare the Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) winner -- officially at least. When Ethereal dashed down the center of a damp Flemington course to overwhelm Godolphin's Give the Slip, the Rhythm filly raced herself and her handler into Cup history.
Queensland Oaks (Aus-I) winner Ethereal is the 4-1 morning-line favorite for Tuesday's two-mile Melbourne Cup (Aus-I), in which the hot Godolphin stable have two horses entered.
Fantastic Light edged Golden Snake in the stretch to earn a neck-length victory in the Tattersalls Gold Cup (Ire-I) on Sunday at the Curragh. In his seasonal debut, Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) winner Kalanisi finished third, three lengths behind the runner-up.
Most Popular Stories
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Sunset Glow Has Experience Edge in Debutante
- Gains Posted as Doncaster Premier Sale Ends
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races
- Miss Behaviour Cuts Back for Prioress Run