Bluesthestandard had his final major drill before next Sunday's $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II) at six furlongs Sunday, going five furlongs in :59 for trainer Ted H. West.
Richard Englander's Boston Common passed his Jeff Mullins-trained stablemate – 7-5 favorite King Robyn – in the stretch and went on to defeat the furiously closing Summer Service by a neck in Thursday's $107,600 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III) at Santa Anita.
Midwestern invader Beau's Town, impressively handled by Patrick Valenzuela, blazed to an impressive 1 1/2-length victory in the $191,000 Bing Crosby Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) over a strong group of older sprinters.
"He's working really well. He's real happy. He's like he was a couple of years ago." Is he really the same "old warrior?" "Oh, yeah, he's the same old guy." That's jockey Alex Solis talking about his favorite horse, Kona Gold, in preparation for a start Saturday in the 58th edition of the grade II, $200,000 Bing Crosby Breeders' Cup Handicap at 6 furlongs on the main track.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- The Curse of Haskin