Despite the fact she has seven empty mares and has yet to decide which stallions to breed to this year, Joanne Nielsen has had an uplifting start to 2015. She is the breeder of Upstart, who won the Holy Bull (gr. II) Jan. 24.
WinStar Farm's It's Personal, whose three stakes winners include grade II winner It's No Joke and 2011 stakes winner Mildly Offensive, was euthanized because of foaling complications.
Eclipse Award winner and dual classic winner Funny Cide, first New York-bred to win the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), was named 2003 New York-bred Horse of the Year.
Gerald Nielsen, a prominent New York breeder instrumental in building up the state's breeding industry, has died. The cause of death was not immediately known, but Nielsen had been scheduled to come to Albany Monday to lobby state officials on breeding issues.
I'm All Yours and Reluctant Groom, the top two finishers in last year's West Point Handicap, will resume their rivalry on Friday in the 23rd running of the $75,000-added West Point Handicap for 3-year-olds and older New York-breds at nine furlongs on the turf.
Most Popular Stories
- The Great War No Longer Pursuing Derby
- Far From Over Interest Sold, Wood Next
- Cavalryman Dies After Injury at Meydan
- French Group I Winner Creator Dies at 29
- Laurel Park Cancels Sunday, March 1 Racing
- Gulfstream Park Cancels Card in Deluge
- Royal Son Easily Captures Battaglia Memorial
- Stellar Wind Sails to Santa Ysabel Victory
- Rodriguez Suspended, Fined for Positives
- Avila Defiant in Face of Suspension