WinStar Farm's It's Personal, whose three stakes winners include grade II winner It's No Joke and 2011 stakes winner Mildly Offensive, was euthanized because of foaling complications.
Eclipse Award winner and dual classic winner Funny Cide, first New York-bred to win the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), was named 2003 New York-bred Horse of the Year.
Gerald Nielsen, a prominent New York breeder instrumental in building up the state's breeding industry, has died. The cause of death was not immediately known, but Nielsen had been scheduled to come to Albany Monday to lobby state officials on breeding issues.
I'm All Yours and Reluctant Groom, the top two finishers in last year's West Point Handicap, will resume their rivalry on Friday in the 23rd running of the $75,000-added West Point Handicap for 3-year-olds and older New York-breds at nine furlongs on the turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Kingman Wins Sussex with Dazzling Late Speed
- Thoroughbred Marketplace at Pimlico Oct. 4-5
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Federal Judge Dismisses Dutrow Lawsuit
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- CDI Gets 5-Year Contract with Saratoga Casino
- Colorado Voters to Decide on Racino Gaming
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales