Despite the fact she has seven empty mares and has yet to decide which stallions to breed to this year, Joanne Nielsen has had an uplifting start to 2015. She is the breeder of Upstart, who won the Holy Bull (gr. II) Jan. 24.
WinStar Farm's It's Personal, whose three stakes winners include grade II winner It's No Joke and 2011 stakes winner Mildly Offensive, was euthanized because of foaling complications.
Eclipse Award winner and dual classic winner Funny Cide, first New York-bred to win the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), was named 2003 New York-bred Horse of the Year.
- By Tom Precious
Gerald Nielsen, a prominent New York breeder instrumental in building up the state's breeding industry, has died. The cause of death was not immediately known, but Nielsen had been scheduled to come to Albany Monday to lobby state officials on breeding issues.
I'm All Yours and Reluctant Groom, the top two finishers in last year's West Point Handicap, will resume their rivalry on Friday in the 23rd running of the $75,000-added West Point Handicap for 3-year-olds and older New York-breds at nine furlongs on the turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George