Godolphin's Tempera made the class jump from the maiden ranks to stakes company with an impressive nine-length victory in the $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. II) at Del Mar Saturday.
A field of eight 2-year-old fillies, led by two-time stakes winner Georgia's Storm, is set to go postward Saturday for Del Mar's 33rd edition of the grade II, $150,000 Sorrento Stakes. The youngsters will go 6 1/2 furlongs on the main track.
This week's two graded stakes for female runners at Del Mar are expected to draw quality over quantity.
After winning a duel with Lesters Boy early on, Smile Again was headed in the stretch by 13-10 favorite Freedom Crest before fighting back to post a neck-length win in Saturday's $100,000 Bel Air Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park. Earlier on the card, 2-year-old filly Georgia's Storm led from wire-to-wire in winning the $108,400 Landaluce Stakes (gr. III) under Chris McCarron.
Most Popular Stories
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Dortmund Looks to Regain Form in Santana Mile
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Average Spikes at Barretts March Sale
- Look Back: Searching Finds Victory in 1956 Top Flight
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Trainer, Racing Official Daniel Dufford Dies at 66
- Tequilita Hopes to Go Distance in Gulfstream Oaks