Godolphin's Tempera made the class jump from the maiden ranks to stakes company with an impressive nine-length victory in the $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. II) at Del Mar Saturday.
A field of eight 2-year-old fillies, led by two-time stakes winner Georgia's Storm, is set to go postward Saturday for Del Mar's 33rd edition of the grade II, $150,000 Sorrento Stakes. The youngsters will go 6 1/2 furlongs on the main track.
This week's two graded stakes for female runners at Del Mar are expected to draw quality over quantity.
After winning a duel with Lesters Boy early on, Smile Again was headed in the stretch by 13-10 favorite Freedom Crest before fighting back to post a neck-length win in Saturday's $100,000 Bel Air Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park. Earlier on the card, 2-year-old filly Georgia's Storm led from wire-to-wire in winning the $108,400 Landaluce Stakes (gr. III) under Chris McCarron.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncertainty as Delaware Drops Pletcher Case
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- Beshear, Moses to Speak at Round Table
- Desormeaux Failed Breathalyzer at Del Mar
- American Pharoah Schools at Monmouth
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- Untapable Looks for Shuvee Relief
- First Winners for Pair of Louisiana Stallions
- Gimme Da Lute Brings Class to Real Good Deal