The team of George Smith and Dr. Wilbur Johnston, owners of Woodburn Farm in Centerville, Ohio, were among the big winners March 27 at the Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners awards banquet in Columbus.
Spoken Fur, who developed into one of the year's top 3-year-old fillies for Amerman Racing Stables and trainer Bobby Frankel, has been retired from racing.
Prominent Ohio owner/breeder George Smith, barred from Beulah Park when he categorized it as the worst of Ohio earlier this year, said he isn't sure whether he'll be on hand at the Grove City track Oct. 4 for the Best of Ohio championship series. Owner Charlie Ruma banned him this spring.
The Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners has issued a serious call to the state's racing and breeding industry as it pushes for alternative gaming: Nothing will be accomplished without a strong grass-roots campaign, and should gaming be approved, track operators must invest revenue to promote horse racing and revitalize aging facilities.
Most Popular Stories
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Champion Groupie Doll Delivers Premature Foal
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- Secret Circle Powers Home in Golden Shaheen
- Solow All Alone in Dubai Turf
- Dolniya Quickens to Sheema Classic Score
- Dortmund Logs Final Work for SA Derby
- Commissioner Edges 'Quisqueyano' in Skip Away
- Gold Medal Dancer Works for Apple Blossom
- Sole Power Drives to Al Quoz Sprint Win