The team of George Smith and Dr. Wilbur Johnston, owners of Woodburn Farm in Centerville, Ohio, were among the big winners March 27 at the Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners awards banquet in Columbus.
Spoken Fur, who developed into one of the year's top 3-year-old fillies for Amerman Racing Stables and trainer Bobby Frankel, has been retired from racing.
Prominent Ohio owner/breeder George Smith, barred from Beulah Park when he categorized it as the worst of Ohio earlier this year, said he isn't sure whether he'll be on hand at the Grove City track Oct. 4 for the Best of Ohio championship series. Owner Charlie Ruma banned him this spring.
The Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners has issued a serious call to the state's racing and breeding industry as it pushes for alternative gaming: Nothing will be accomplished without a strong grass-roots campaign, and should gaming be approved, track operators must invest revenue to promote horse racing and revitalize aging facilities.
Most Popular Stories
- Azar Captures With Anticipation Stakes
- NTWAB to Honor American Pharoah Team
- Live Racing, Simulcasts Resume in Texas
- Breaking & Training: Taking the Next Steps
- South African Champion Wild One Dies
- T.I.P. Awards Applications Being Accepted
- Deal Apparently Reached on Texas Funding
- CA Stallion Sought After Euthanized
- Suffolk Superintendent Steven Pini Dies at 63
- Departing Tops More Than Ready Mile