Barn CC on the Del Mar backside had a party-like atmosphere Sunday morning—with a large group of connections and fans huddled around the 2014 Horse of the Year's stall—following what Sherman called the best performance of his career.
The Del Mar crowd roared as California Chrome put a head in front of Dortmund in the final turn of the $200,000 San Diego Handicap (gr. II) July 23, but little did they know the battle they were in store for in the stretch.
Iron Rob, an added entry to the $75,000 San Pedro Stakes after it was washed away by a rainstorm March 11, upset heavily favored Denman's Call in the six-furlong sprint March 20.
French import Flavien Prat is one of many up-and-coming young jockeys hoping to take the reins from the sport's best. He rides Pain and Misery in the San Felipe (gr. II) and Silentio in the Kilroe Mile (gr. IT) March 7.
Game On Dude, who topped the first edition of the Longines World's Best Racehorse Rankings for 2014, heads the field for the 75th renewal of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) June 28 at Santa Anita Park.
Imperative pounced on a softened-up Game On Dude rounding the final turn and proved best in the drive to land a $1 million payday at odds of 26-1 in the Charles Town Classic (gr. II) April 19 at Charles Town Races.
Most Popular Stories
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6
- End of Road for ‘Claiming Rule’ Challenge
- Innovative Wagers Help Racetracks with Handle
- Woolf Award Finalists Announced
- Greatbullsoffire Tops Futurity
- Bowman Wins Hong Kong Jockey Championship
- Thoroughbred Makeover Accepting Applications
- Bode's Dream Makes Return in House Party
- Paulassilverlining Set for Garland of Roses