A colt by Exceed and Excel topped the first day of the Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale in Australia Jan. 6 and helped fuel a 25% increase in gross.
Buyers were particularly discerning on day one of the Magic Millions National yearling sale June 2 as the clearance rate came in at 69%.
The Inglis Australian Easter yearling sale opened is three-day run April 7 topped by a Fastnet Rock filly sold to Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa al Maktoum for $1.6 million (US$1,223,665).
Dr. Cornel Li's formidable miler Able Friend wore down pacesetter Beauty Flame and notched a second straight group I victory when taking the HK$10 million Stewards' Cup Jan. 25 at Sha Tin.
Colts by Darley sires Street Cry and Exceed And Excel brought the top prices on day two of the Inglis Australian Easter yearling sale in Sydney April 9, each selling for seven figures.
A colt by leading Australian sire Fastnet Rock sold for $1,350,000 (approximately $1,427,155 US) Jan. 10 at Magic Millions, sparking fireworks at the second session of the Gold Coast yearling sale in Queensland.
A Shamardal colt brought Aust$180,000 ($192,798 in U.S. funds) June 5 to top the first session of the Magic Millions national yearling sale on Australia's Gold Coast.
- By Ric Chapman
The American equivalent would have been Bill Shoemaker, or in more recent times Pat Day. That's the sort of lofty esteem that international jockey George Moore was held in. Australia's greatest rider, George "Cotton Fingers" Moore, died Jan. 8.
- By Ric Chapman
Jockey George Moore, who Australians would put in the same category as sports stars Bill Shoemaker and Tiger Woods, died Jan. 8 in a Sydney nursing home. Moore was 84.
Most Popular Stories
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Stellar Wind Works in Company for Distaff
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends
- Report: Dips in Stallion, Mares-Bred Numbers
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Mr. Nightlinger Moved to Mighty Acres
- Phlash Phelps Team Back in Maryland Million
- Shy Ruston is Calibrachoa's First Winner
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland