The British Red Cross, Ascot's charity of the year, is staging a fundraising jockey race to help raise money for the charity work it does in the UK and abroad. Leading European riders Frankie Dettori and George Duffield have agreed to participate and need an additional eight riders to join them in the Red Cross Stakes on Blue Square Shergar Cup Day on Aug. 10.
It was not a good morning for English trainer Jeremy Glover on Friday. First he discovered, George Duffield, the jockey for his Perryston View, had gone down with food poisoning and must be considered doubtful for the big Hong Kong Sprint on Sunday and then his horse bolted with his new jockey, John Reid, whilst hacking home during trackwork. Glover said: "I wanted my horse to trot back towards the quarantine barn but he took off with John when he started to hack and came back past me very fast. I thought he was going to go through the fence behind the 1000-metre start but luckily he stopped."
Most Popular Stories
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Fasig-Tipton October Catalog Available
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- The RNA Conundrum at Public Auctions
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Neuman Set to Call Los Alamitos Winter Meet
- Have Horseplayers Lost Touch With the Horse?