The British Red Cross, Ascot's charity of the year, is staging a fundraising jockey race to help raise money for the charity work it does in the UK and abroad. Leading European riders Frankie Dettori and George Duffield have agreed to participate and need an additional eight riders to join them in the Red Cross Stakes on Blue Square Shergar Cup Day on Aug. 10.
It was not a good morning for English trainer Jeremy Glover on Friday. First he discovered, George Duffield, the jockey for his Perryston View, had gone down with food poisoning and must be considered doubtful for the big Hong Kong Sprint on Sunday and then his horse bolted with his new jockey, John Reid, whilst hacking home during trackwork. Glover said: "I wanted my horse to trot back towards the quarantine barn but he took off with John when he started to hack and came back past me very fast. I thought he was going to go through the fence behind the 1000-metre start but luckily he stopped."
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Lightstream Rallies to Win Raven Run
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Admirals War Chest Repeats MD Million Classic
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Royal Posse Sails Clear in Empire Classic
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic