The British Red Cross, Ascot's charity of the year, is staging a fundraising jockey race to help raise money for the charity work it does in the UK and abroad. Leading European riders Frankie Dettori and George Duffield have agreed to participate and need an additional eight riders to join them in the Red Cross Stakes on Blue Square Shergar Cup Day on Aug. 10.
It was not a good morning for English trainer Jeremy Glover on Friday. First he discovered, George Duffield, the jockey for his Perryston View, had gone down with food poisoning and must be considered doubtful for the big Hong Kong Sprint on Sunday and then his horse bolted with his new jockey, John Reid, whilst hacking home during trackwork. Glover said: "I wanted my horse to trot back towards the quarantine barn but he took off with John when he started to hack and came back past me very fast. I thought he was going to go through the fence behind the 1000-metre start but luckily he stopped."
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Catch a Glimpse Probable for Penn Mile
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont
- America's Galileo
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble