Eight horses sold for Aust$100,000 (approximately $67,512 in U.S. funds) or more Feb. 9 during the second session of William Inglis & Son's Sydney Classic yearling sale in Australia. Through the first two sessions, the gross revenue is Aust$7,153,500 ($4,829,471) for the 250 horses sold. The average price, Aust$28,614 ($19,318), is down only 10% from a year ago. The median price is Aust$20,000 ($13,502).
Just about every keen judge of horseflesh in Australia got it wrong as the curtain fell on the main sessions at Adelaide's Magic Millions Yearling Sale Thursday in Australia.
This time last year, South Australian trainer Mark Kavanagh was allowed to spend $380,000 of someone else's money. He ended up buying the top lot at the Adelaide Magic Millions yearling sale.
The Australian annual "Summer of Selling" continued on Tuesday with the yearling caravan moving to Perth in Western Australia.
The military stamped Australia's speed championship in Melbourne on Feb. 9. The cavalry arrived in the nick of time as Regimental Gal rushed down Flemington's grandstand rail to collar the 13-4 favorite Our Egyptian Raine (by Desert Sun) at the wire in the Lightning Stakes (Aust-I).
Adelaide's Magic Millions contained a record high Danehill colt at $260,000, but the second-tier yearling sale returned reduced figures on the previous year.
Sixty-seven yearlings sold for a gross of 1,021,500 Australian dollars (approximately $601,970 in U.S. funds) and an average of 15,246 Australian dollars ($8,984) during the inaugural premier II yearling sale at Oaklands Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Parade at Del Mar
- Woodward Stakes Field Could Prove Intriguing
- Calumet to Sponsor KY Downs Juvenile Stakes
- 375 Cataloged for F-T Midlantic Fall Sale
- Wally's Choice Among Four for Canterbury HOF
- Travers Overnight Rating Best Since 2004
- The Day After: No Regrets From Team 'Pharoah'
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Keen Ice Tired After Travers, 'Classic' Ahead
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score